Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The New Normal

Coming home with Blakely was interesting.  While waiting to be discharged Friday morning, my mother-in-law called to let me know that Knox woke up in the middle of the night with a fever.  Instantly I was sad for him, because it would mean he would miss his Valentine's party at school, but I really didn't think anything of it.  I advised her to administer Tylenol or Motrin and to let me know if anything changed.  She reported later that he woke up and was acting normal and the fever seemed to be gone, so I honestly forgot about it.

Once we were discharged and got to the house, I went looking for him to give him hugs and let him see Blakely again.  My father-in-law said he was in bed, that he asked to "go lay down."  This is NOT normal behavior, he never wants to rest.  When I went to check on him, he was on fire.  I immediately checked his temperature and it was 103.5.  I panicked.  Not only was I extremely nervous and scared for him, but what do I do with a newborn in the house?  I called the pediatrician, and they advised we bring him in immediately.

At this point he was really bad.  Picking him up "hurt him," and he didn't want to put on shoes because his "skin hurt." Poor guy.  No other symptoms, just the fever and lethargy.  I texted Stephen the entire time he was at the doctor, worried for my little guy.  I had my first "break down," at this point.  It was the first time I couldn't be there for him...I had to stay back with our other baby.  I know I'll have a million more of these situations, but it hurt.  They tested for the flu and strep, and both came back negative.  After the doctor listened to his lungs, he was diagnosed with pneumonia.  Apparently this is the "best case" scenario as far as contagious illnesses go with a newborn, so we were thankful...though that sounds weird.  He was given an antibiotic and sent home.  By the next morning he was back to his normal strange!  We kept him away from his sister for a week or so, just out of caution, and that was pretty difficult.  But all in all, we managed and everyone is healthy and happy now!

Now, for the pictures!  Blakely's first few weeks at home have been great.  She's such a good baby, and goes with the flow rather easily.

We've been on many walks:

Seen quite a few dream/gas smiles:

Knox has given her all of her baths so far...he loves to help:

He also played "doctor" at our first check-up:

She's been to Home Depot and watched Knox do the Kids Workshop:

Tried to nurse her brother:

And melted our hearts:

Her second check-up went great, and we won't go back until 8 weeks for her shots:

More bath time:

She hates tummy time:

Knox helping again:

It's been so fun finding our new "normal," and it already feels like she's always been here!

1 comment:

  1. Winston had the same thing happen to him! It's so strange! Glad to hear that your Little Guy bounced back and is enjoying being Big Brother! Your family is precious; enjoy your Gift!